Ice Road Truckers Community

Connecting You To The Ice Road

Experienced driver seeking maybe coming back to good offer

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what job u looking for
Truckdriver..did ice roads last season with Continental Cartage, flatbeds mostly..but open to suggestions

alyce said:
what job u looking for
So John...you are an Ice Road Trucker? A guy who's been there? Welcome!!
Yes Mike, I was up there running Tibbitt Lake road last year, from February to April, as far north as the Tahara Mines..the end of the road..Maybe I will submit some pics later for all of you.

Mike said:
So what are the ice roads like in Alaska, and how much do the drivers really get paid? This seems to be something which is difficult to find out and are there any job opening or is it so over subscribed that you can only get in if you know somebody?

That Guy said:
Dont come to Alasksa the Ice road is nothing like what your use too !
Hi John
So its nice to hear from a guy who actually has done it. If you ran there last year how did you get the job and how come it was not possible for you to get a job the following year?

Is it so over subscribed as they are saying?

John DeGroot said:
Yes Mike, I was up there running Tibbitt Lake road last year, from February to April, as far north as the Tahara Mines..the end of the road..Maybe I will submit some pics later for all of you.

Mike said:
As a veteran trucker it was a nice change of pace, and it is of course not as dangerous as described on television of course. The guys are very friendly, easy to work with and unlike trucking in Ontario these days good team work there. The revenue is good if your willing to work for it. I got lucky and just happened to be at right place and right time and answered a blog on ice roads to a broker advertising. Sent my resume and was on a plane. I did not go back the following season as they were one not as busy, and had good job at home that did not want to leave. The broker I did run for was also downsizing his fleet. If I had the chance now to go back I would in a heartbeat. Let's say I made as much in 2 1/2 months there as I could here in 6-7 months.

Yes it's cold, but the work is the same as trucking here, hard work, long hours, tight schedules, e.g. If you spent any time behind the wheel with true experience, flatbed/oversized/van/tanker, etc, and over a million miles, the ICE ROADS is a vacation. no 4 wheelers, no traffic, paid for meals, little delay time, what more can a driver ask for. As for the Alaska roads, I have heard it is much easier than Tibbit Lake runs. It is one highway I have not travelled, and would love to try. I have been now everywhere else so it will be one other part of trucking I want to explore. I presently run heavy haul steel in Ontario and await my next adventure.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions, my suggestion to you is look up companies running in the areas, send off resumes, the earlier the better (July, August) and wait for the phone to ring. The Ice roads are extremely safety oriented, as they should be. They spend millions to create and maintain the roads for the supply of goods, and don't need the cowboys tearing it up. My season was incident free and surely one vacation I will never forget. Cheers!

Kevin Hardisty said:
Hi John
So its nice to hear from a guy who actually has done it. If you ran there last year how did you get the job and how come it was not possible for you to get a job the following year?

Is it so over subscribed as they are saying?

John DeGroot said:

Mike said:
But what if you're not Canadian do you stand a chance?

Kevin
I know of guys there from the UK and the U.S. so yes you do.

Kevin Hardisty said:

Kevin
Well I got re interested in the idea having seen Ise Road Truckers on getting my class1 truck licence. Years ago a company I was working at offered to pay for a truck driving course in UK (I'm a mechanic by trade) which I did but due to a stupid mistake on my part (touched the curb or sidewalk a touch with the trailer wheel in a tight turn) but the situation changed at the company and in short I didn't have a chance to re-take the test.

Anyway the years passed by and I changed countries twice, Spain and now Italy, and then I saw the Ice Road Truckers Series 1 based out of Yellow Knife and it really appealed to me as a job I am capable of ( plus I love the work ethic in Canada and America in Europe nobody wants to do anything anymore it's like they're all on pot) apart from one thing the drivers licence. I don't know if it is more denificial to have a Canadian licence as opposed to a European one? I've been looking at a few Canadian driving schools.

But John in your personal experience how much experience would I need to have to be considered for a Drivers job on ice roads?

There are some web sites out there who are saying that if you apploy even without a licence the hiring company will pay for your course and everything but perhaps that was in the past. What I'm trying to build up is an accurate picture of what the real situation is like today.

Any information would be very gratefully received.

Best regards

Kevin

John DeGroot said:

Kevin Hardisty said:

Kevin
Honestly Kevin, most companies would like to see 5 years of experience for the most part these days, at least 1 year of Mountain experience on Canadian roads. Safety is such a priority up there that they are only considering experienced over the road drivers. Some companies here will hire you for regular trucking lets say in Ontario, pay for your Driving school training to obtain Canadian Class AZ (truckers license) and train you at company as well, plus give you a job. I know Challenger Motor Freight in Cambridge does, as I worked for them, as a trainer. As well as Shaun Davids Truck Training school in Brantford, Ontario. I trained many drivers for Challenger from Uk, Scotland, Serbia, Croatia, e.g I would start there, and after you get a year or two in here, then apply at Ice Roads.

Kevin Hardisty said:
Well I got re interested in the idea having seen Ise Road Truckers on getting my class1 truck licence. Years ago a company I was working at offered to pay for a truck driving course in UK (I'm a mechanic by trade) which I did but due to a stupid mistake on my part (touched the curb or sidewalk a touch with the trailer wheel in a tight turn) but the situation changed at the company and in short I didn't have a chance to re-take the test.

Anyway the years passed by and I changed countries twice, Spain and now Italy, and then I saw the Ice Road Truckers Series 1 based out of Yellow Knife and it really appealed to me as a job I am capable of ( plus I love the work ethic in Canada and America in Europe nobody wants to do anything anymore it's like they're all on pot) apart from one thing the drivers licence. I don't know if it is more denificial to have a Canadian licence as opposed to a European one? I've been looking at a few Canadian driving schools.

But John in your personal experience how much experience would I need to have to be considered for a Drivers job on ice roads?

There are some web sites out there who are saying that if you apploy even without a licence the hiring company will pay for your course and everything but perhaps that was in the past. What I'm trying to build up is an accurate picture of what the real situation is like today.

Any information would be very gratefully received.

Best regards

Kevin

John DeGroot said:

Kevin Hardisty said:

Kevin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jason Peck.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service